Get To Know Me!

Sarah Boston, DVM, DVSc, Diplomate ACVS
ACVS Founding Fellow of Surgical Oncology
ACVS Founding Fellow or Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

Dr. Sarah Boston

Dr Sarah Boston graduated from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada in 1996. She completed a rotating internship at the University of Guelph the following year. She then returned to Western Canada for 3 years of general practice before going to the University of Guelph for a residency and DVSc in small animal surgery. She became board-certified with the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2004. Sarah then completed a Fellowship in Surgical Oncology in 2005. She is an ACVS Founding Fellow of both Surgical Oncology and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.

Sarah was on faculty at the University of Guelph for 5 years before moving south to the University of Florida where she was an Associate Professor of Surgical Oncology for 5 years. She was tenured faculty at both institutions. Sarah returned to Canada and started working for VCA Canada in 2018, where she started the Surgical Oncology Service at 404 Veterinary Emergency & Referral in Newmarket. She is Adjunct Faculty at the University of Guelph.

Sarah is Past-President of Veterinary Society of Surgical Oncology and has authored numerous journal articles and textbook chapters on surgical oncology. Sarah is also a published author and cancer survivor. Her first book, Lucky Dog: How Being a Veterinarian Saved My Life, was published by the House of Anansi Press in 2014. She is also one of the founders of The Cageliner, a satirical newspaper for the veterinary industry and her new hobby is stand up comedy.

Sarah practices in the Toronto area with VCA Canada. She lives on the farm where her husband, Steve works as a large animal veterinarian.

In Memoriam - Rumble

In Memoriam - Rumble

Even as you were dying, you were perfect. The way you politely paced in the middle of the night to see if one of us might be sleeping lightly enough to hear you. The prednisone made you drink more and pee more. If the gentle pacing didn’t work, you would let out the quietest cry, “meep,” until one of us stirred. We never wanted you to feel uncomfortable or stressed, so one of us would push ourselves awake and stumble outside with you. It reminded me of when you were a puppy, and we had to take turns taking you out in the night. You were so easy to house train. You were so easy to train to do anything. You were perfect.
The first day we brought you home from the shelter, you were this outrageously cute heeler-cross puppy. I know technically you were a rescue, but I never felt like a saint taking you home because you were so healthy and bright and adorable. You were everything that I wanted in a puppy and a dog and a companion. And on day one, we were playing with you in the yard, and you turned to me and flashed me your toothy grin. I had always wanted a dog that smiled, and seeing you grin at me made me feel as though I had just won the dog lottery. I had. Your smile would be your trademark greeting throughout your life. I would have to let people know when you greeted them that you were smiling because, as hilarious as your smile was, it was terrifying to people who didn’t know you or didn’t know that dogs could smile like that. Every single time you smiled over the past eight years, every time you greeted me with all your teeth, it filled me with joy. I felt like a small child, clapping and laughing. I never tired of your smile, and I will miss it so much. That funny little gesture filled me with so much love and joy every single day.

Click here to continue reading →

In Memoriam - Romeow

In Memoriam - Romeow

Romeow was our brown tabby who was born in 2008(ish). He probably was a farm cat, then he found his way to the pound. He was destined to be an anatomy specimen at a University, but he was too smoochy for that, so he found his way to be a blood donor at the University of Guelph. He was supposed to be a blood donor for a year before he could be adopted, but he failed out of the blood donor program, so he was released early. Romeow has lived in Guelph, Ontario, outside of Gainseville, Florida and back in Ontario again. He lived by the motto, “Live free or Die” and sadly, we lost him in July 2020, likely due to the coyotes on the farm. He was a very smoochy loving boy 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time he was terrorizing Rumble. His favourite human by a long shot was Steve, but Sarah came in second and after that he loved everyone. We miss him so much, but he loved his outdoor cat life and we wouldn’t change it if we could.